Monday, January 3, 2011



Dearest family,

Hey yeah yesterday we heard about that earthquake but it was too far down south. We didn't feel anything here. But yeah I guess I'm just an earthquake magnet, its pretty cool. I don't know if we'll have another big aftershock this year but we'll see. Elder Amado from the 70 told the chileans the need to prepare themselves for this year. But he didnt say for what haha. Well we'll see. Things have been everything but calm down here. Its been pretty nuts. First of all the New years is a pretty big thing down here. Everyone goes out in the streets at 12 and gives out hugs (most of them are drunk) but I thought that was a pretty neat culture fact. There was a lot of noise and we couldn't sleep so we went out on the balcony and saw the fireworks. Also its supposedly a tradition in Peru to make a little doll of old stuff and burn it. I'll send you guys a picture of that. Oh and some more funny stories, the first sunday of every year they have a tradition where they all go out in the streets and get everybody wet that comes by. They open up the fire hydrants and just spray everyone. We watched some as the got buckets and dumped them in the open windows of cars that came by. Some people got pretty upset but all in all it was pretty funny. We walked passed them a block down the street walking fast and they saw us and I heard them shout, "Hey, lets go get the gringos wet!" Some guys with buckets of water came running after us haha so we took off down the street. Luckily we had a lesson so we got out of the streets. Pretty fun. Oh and I haven't really heard much from Eduardo. I heard that they're having some family problems but I'm not sure how he's doing. I'm gonna write him letter soon. But I did hear from Gustavo and Jeremias and they're still going to church and working on going to the temple =) woo! Hopefully I'll still be here.

Well this week we made a give up smoking plan for Meriam. She seemed a little bit worried if she would be able to do it but we're gonna help her and the ward is willing to give her support. Actually today we're gonna have a family home everning with a really awesome family and Meriam and her family. That'll help a lot. We actually had a really awesome week. We talked with some kids that have come to church before and play soccer with the ward a lot that live right in front of the church. Their parents are always working on sundays and so they haven't helped them go to church but said they want us to teach them and bring them to church. They told their parents they are going to get baptized on January 23rd and she said, yeah thats fine! Now obviously our goal is to help them have support from the ward, friends, and family. But I've never seen kids so excited to get baptized. And there are 4 of them! All about 10 years old. That was a great blessing! We're pumped to teach them. Also, the stake president has prepared a family of 4 that are starting to come to church activities and want to learn about the church. We should start teaching them next week! Yay referrals from members! Really we're really excited for the work this month! Just hope and pray that Satan stays out of the lives of those kids and that family. But I know that as my Savior lives, He desires the salvation of God's children and with His will, everything is possible. I love this gospel and my mission. I know this is the Lord's vineyard, His work and His glory.

Well I have you guys enjoy this week! I'm glad you had a good new year with a lot of explosives. Take care and behave yourselves! Recuerden que las verdades eternas son eternas y nuncan cambian, entonces, que sean verídicos y nuncan cambien. Chao, les amo

Elder Webb

No comments:

Post a Comment